Sunday, April 21, 2019

Grow with cards and games

Summer and the game serve me together.

When I was a child, my family had a hut on a small lake in northern Minnesota. It has no electricity and plumbing, which is good for me; I like the feeling of camping, but still have a comfortable bed to sleep at night. The only downside is that an outbuilding is half a block from the cottage and it is not an interesting trip at night. My mother solved this problem by creating a "honeypot" that we used all night, and one of us emptied in the morning [although I suspect my mother's most common job].

In the evening, our lights come from kerosene lamps and a large brick fireplace. My father, mother, brother and I came in from the night fishing [or rainy days], we played card games in front of the fireplace; kerosene lamps hung overhead and lit the small table in the middle. We played gin, 500 Lamy and Smir, and I remember this game is a bit like a bridge. [If anyone knows how to play smear, please contact me because I need a tutorial!] I especially like gin and won more than my game but I usually can't beat my father. In retrospect, I am not sure which is better; card games or quiet nights with my family. However, I grew up to cherish both.

At some point we add Monopoly to the list, but I always have a love/hate relationship with the game. If you win, that would be great. Whenever someone sees a donkey and land on your property, your house will be piled up in front of you, and the money in front of you will be bigger. But if you miss out on buying the best property, every shake of the scorpion will make you more and more debt - maybe a bit like real life! When I lose all my money and can quit the game, I can't get rid of the plight of poverty.

Of course, scrabble has always been the most popular, but as the youngest, my vocabulary is a bit disappointed. At the time, I didn't know the phrase like Qi. Xu, Qua and Za are suitable for entering small spaces and getting a lot of points. Today, I play Scrabble online with my friends every day and use these words regularly, although I have to admit that I still don't know what they mean.

In college, I was introduced to Bridge. I watched my friends play; listened to their bids and studied their drama. When I met my husband Barry, I only played a few times. After we got engaged, he and I were invited to have dinner and bridge games at the home of his married friend. I am nervous and feel like a child; these couples are four or five years older than me and actually live in the house, not the dormitory. By the end of the night, I felt more confident and felt that my bridge played very well. As soon as we got on the bus, Barry turned and said to me: "Never, don't buy three suits!" In any case, he married me and even taught me how to bid in the right way.

For several years, we have been partying with twelve friends, most of whom are at the same level as us. Each of us is surrounded by three tables and different partners. However, a man in the group treated the game very seriously. Being his partner means turning on four hands of insults. I didn't say anything at the time, but this older, more sensible version wouldn't let her shut up!

I used to play a duplicate bridge [only once]. At the time we lived in an army base in Japan, a friend asked me to replace her in a once-a-week copy bridge game, but she stopped to have children. By this time, my bridge game has been greatly improved, I immediately said yes. But I soon discovered that this game has little in common with party bridges. The room was very quiet, just quietly screaming at each table. Focus on each hand, the scorecard is meticulous. In addition, carefully changed the hand for the next player.

After we have completed all the hands, everyone gathers to see where he or she is in the list of points. I am the last one, only a few more than a 90-year-old woman with dementia. The game is only two hours, but it feels like eight hours. When I got home, I had a terrible headache. When Barry walked into the door, I lay on the couch with an ice bag on my head, a glass of wine and a bottle of aspirin on the table next to me.

When our children appeared, we spent hours playing children's games such as candy paradise, old maid, fish and slides and ladders. Although these games disappeared after our children grew up, our game cabinets have now been restocked, waiting for our granddaughter to visit next time. I found this game to be more interesting than when my child was young. I am pretty sure that the reason for this is because we can enjoy playing with our grandchildren without having to worry about raising their children. Grandchildren are very interesting!

With the advent of computers, we can also play a lot of games online. As I mentioned before, I played at least ten Scrabble games with my friends and family, but these games only move one move per player in a day. In addition, I joined the Microsoft Solitaire Collection, which includes daily challenges in five different card games. You collect points that grow every day until [hopefully] you reach the Admiralty at the beginning of the month. If you miss a few days, you will fall behind your game. If you don't mind the day [or two days] computer game of the marathon, it may be fun to catch up. This is the beginning of addiction!

Since we live in Florida, we have introduced two new games to play with friends. The first one is Rummikub, a board game that looks like a $500. Barry and I play with three friends every three months, and we often lose. A friend has been playing this game in his hometown for many years. They play money, a penny, and she wants us to do it. I am willing, if Barry or I occasionally win once, but at our current rate, this situation will not happen very quickly.

Another game we play with our neighbors is the Mexican train, a domino game. This strategy is very interesting, but the best part of the game is to press the button in the middle of the plastic train and make a loud "Choo cho, choo cho". Of course, to be allowed to press the button, you must first win the game, unfortunately, this does not happen to me often. So occasionally I will cheat and press the button to have fun.

You may have guessed it, I don't seem to win often. However, I have ordered that winning for me is not the goal of the game. Of course I prefer to win or lose but because it is not a "card", I focus on other things, such as strategy, tricks, combined with the correct numbers and all the points I insist on. Others got it! I also tell myself that playing games should be good for you. But the best part of playing games is spending time with good friends, eating delicious food and building good memories at this stage of my life.
from

  ###




Orignal From: Grow with cards and games

No comments:

Post a Comment